Saturday, February 13, 2010

Losing My Breasts-Not A Big Deal



As I said before, I never liked my previous breasts they were lopsided and not very attractive. In fact, they were like old lady boobies, probably old ladies have better ones than mine. That being said I was not really upset when I had them removed. I knew that I was getting rid of something that just was not working for me. There are women though who do like and are attached to their breasts that is understandable, however, why keep something that just keeps giving you problems. I know that some women would not for religious reasons. I probably could have kept mine, but I would have had to get a mammogram every 3 months, had to have procedures that would have racked up my insurance to the sky. If you think about it, it's just skin and tissue. I might be more upset if I had to get rid of an arm or a leg. All of my doctors told me they would have done the same thing I did if they were in my position. I was doing myself a favor so that I would not have problems later on in life. No it did not solve all health issues but it put me ahead of the game.


I remember reading a booklet when I decided to have a double mastectomy and it said most of the women who have a mastectomy, want to see something when it is all said and done. I get that, however, breasts do not define a woman and they do not define you as a person. I am still me, my character did not change, nothing changed except my physical appearance which to me I have never looked better in my opinion. It's funny how as a society we have become so fixated on our looks. There are so many products out there such as teeth whiteners, serums, creams that cost thousands of dollars and all for what so we can feel better? Take Heidi Spencer, the girl is in her 20's, she has had so much plastic surgery her own family does not recognize her. In my opinion, she has aged herself about 10 years. As for those of us who have plastic surgery because we had a health issue, we have an opportunity to make our appearance better. Look at people who do botox, I cannot not imagine wanting botox because I have wrinkles, who cares, so you have wrinkles does not make you ugly, it gives you character and alot of the time look worse after having botox.

When it came time to getting rid of my breasts because they had found cancer in the left and calcifications in my right, I decided to nip the issue in the bud. Calcifications in your breast are very small bits of calcium can appear within the soft tissue of your breast. Calcifications are not breast cancer. These aren't always a sign of breast cancer. Sometimes calcifications are an indication of a precancerous condition. They appear as white dots on your mammogram. I realize some people might say why then did you get rid of yours? Answer, I was not going to stand around and watch my doctors poke me every other week and 'wait' for the cancer to show up. Due the fact that I was considered high risk I did not want to give cancer any opportunity to expand itself.

Since having breast reconstruction, my clothes fit better, I do not have to wear a bra and the best part is when I am 80 I will have perky breasts! Unlike my friends who will be saggy maggies, I am perfectly proportioned.

I do not believe you should have breast reconstruction just because, that's just dumb. If you have been diagnosed, my advice is to speak to your doctors who will provide with you the latest information on plastic surgery. Remember you can replace most of your body parts, you can live a normal life without the original parts, but you cannot replace you.

No comments:

Post a Comment