Saturday, January 30, 2010

Recovering at Home




After any major surgery beit outpatient or inpatient all you want to do is go home. The problem is adjusting at home once you are there. I wanted to clean the house and do the laundry every daily things that I did before. Unfortunately I could not and that pissed me off to no end. However, my husband was awesome about everything and even said he didn't know how I did it everyday. We don't have kids, so that probably would have been worse. I had my sister come over and stay with me as well for a backup for my husband. The problem with me is I am like my mom, my grandmother and those who came before me, stubborn! I was willing to do whatever it took to get back to being 'normal'. The thing was I was never normal and never had been so what normal I thought I was going to get back to I will never know! The worse thing was not being able to shower for 3 days. Thankfully, my best friend sent me some nice smelly lotions and body sprays that I could use to make myself feel clean. I used those cloths that they give you to clean yourself in the hospital without water. I didn't feel clean but I smelled clean!

Staying at home doing nothing got pretty old very fast. I had movies, magazines to watch, soap operas because I worked for the soap site, Daytime Confidential so keeping up with faux drama helped and Facebook. My cat was anti-social for the first week I was home because I cutting into her alone time with the house.

A homecare nurse came to see me for the first 3 days I was home. It was interesting speaking to her, she told me her husband was a doctor who had become blind and could no longer practice medicine. I began thinking that I was lucky I was able to correct my medical issues, he could not and that somehow I was going to be ok.


I had some pleasant surprises from my friend, Melissa who came to visit me from New York City and my friend Lisa who came from Washington who brought me pajama's and the book, Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gibson. It was a nice distraction from the drains and bruised boobs. If you ever want to know what to buy someone after major surgery, buy them new pajanma's and nice smelly bath products!

When I was finally able to get to take a shower, it was more like a 'Lucy and Ethel' moment. I had to wrap myself in plastic grocery bags because I could get the area wet. My husband would rinse me off as I washed. We kepted getting in the way of each other that I just started busted out laughing and then I cried!

Tomorrow: Doctor's Checking Out Their Work

1 comment:

  1. I post the picture of Kiss Face because I highly recommend it if you are looking for an organic soap.

    ReplyDelete