Sunday, January 31, 2010

Doctor's Checking Out Their Work



Every surgeon regardless of their speciality is proud of their 'work'. Sort of like when a child comes home from school and get's an 'A' on their art or science project. They immediately want to put it on display for everyone to see, 'see what I did, look how great that looks'. Those of us not in the medical field most likely would not think so, as I was sporting around the alien and the pretator. There were all sorts of colors going on as well, like a box of crayons. I was an art project, well at least the surgeons thought so.

I was not able to drive at all, so my loving sister took me. My sister has a few phobias' thanks to her father, going up elevators is one of them. Thankfully the building was only 2 floors. Sitting in the lobby of the doctor's office this time was less stressful although I knew I was getting more results. You see when you have a surgery such as mine they 'look' for things like cancer and whatever else they can find.

My sister stayed in the doctor's office for all of 20 seconds. She doesn't do doctor's office, I thought about asking one the other patients out in the lobby to sit with me. There was a part of me that was nervous, I knew it didn't spread but there was that voice inside my head going 'prepare for the worse'and what if, things happen ok, I will deal with it I've come this far.

Dr. D. came in with a smile and right away delivered me with a 'your fine, we found nothing!' It became a party in a matter of 5 minutes. Dr. D. called in her assistant 'hey take a look doesn't that look great!' The assistant then called in the original Zen Master of Breasts who had happened to be there, she came in hugged me all exposed, 'oh my goodness they look so good!!!'. This went on for about 20 minutes, I thought about charging anyone else who wanted to come in and look.

I was thankful I was not going to have to go through any chemo or radiation. I did however have to start taking a tamoxifen. A pill I had only heard about, it puts you in menopause, you put on weight, fatigue, leg cramps, mood swings and non-existent periods. I had to meet with an oncologist eventually in order to discuss my treatment options. For now, I was just happy that I made it this far!


Tomorrow: Meet your Oncologist

No comments:

Post a Comment